"You can take the fat off a man's body, but you can't take the fat out of his head."

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

No way but the hard way

There's a band from Australia not named AC/DC that sounds a heck of a lot like AC/DC: Airbourne. Their latest cd has a song on it called "No Way But The Hard Way". The lyrics are extremely vanilla:

"...the tide will turn
Cuz I have learned

There ain't no way but the hard way
So get used to it"

Sometimes something disturbingly simple can hit me right between the ojos and knock me into next week. You want something? Then go for it! Just remember nobody said it would be easy. It won't be handed to you on a silver platter. You have to work for it. Really, really hard.

"But I've tried every diet there is. I just can't lose weight."

Well then maybe you're not trying hard enough.

Up until 15 years ago, I never would've believed it possible for me to lose weight and look/feel as healthy as I do today. I was the last person in the world who would have the motivation and determination to make such a drastic change in his lifestyle.

I had tried to lose weight for years. The problem was I wasn't doing it right and I'd end up failing before I even started. The usual routine involved me going on a diet where I ate virtually nothing. I'd be ready to gnaw my own arm off twenty minutes in to Day 1. On Day 2 I'd look in the mirror and not see a change. Then I'd go gnaw off my other arm. On Day 3 I'd step on the scale and wouldn't see a change. Soon after that someone would call and ask me out for pizza. Diet over. Experiences like this are what people are referring to when they say "I have been on diets and tried to lose weight but it doesn't work."

And it's because of the "I can't do it on my own" attitude that weight loss pills and surgeries have become increasingly popular. I'm not saying you shouldn't have support. But it needs to come from a person or group, not from a pill or the knife. It all starts with you. How bad do you want it?

No comments:

Post a Comment