"You can take the fat off a man's body, but you can't take the fat out of his head."

Monday, June 14, 2010

Food scale issues

Today was the last of a 4-day weekend for me. Not that this has anything to do with food scales; I just wanted to mention it.

As I was about to crack my eggs for breakfast this morning I realized my food scale had gone haywire. I was really hoping it was just the batteries so I called Kristi who was running errands and asked her to pick some up for me. As luck would have it, we soon discovered the problem was not the batteries. My food scale had died. It was time for a new one.

By my calculations this would be the third food scale I've had since I started getting back into shape 16 months ago. Kristi thinks it has only been two scales. She might be right, but I do specifically remember being the person who purchased the one that's now in our trash can because I spent more than usual on it (around $30) and had a bad feeling that it wasn't going to be worth the extra dough. Premonition? I get those sometimes.

After doing some quick research I decided to hit Bed Bath And Beyond for a change instead of Wal-Mart. When I got there I was immediately overwhelmed by five different food scales. Decisions, decisions. I immediately eliminated the one that was not digital and the $50 one that also displays and stores the nutritional information about the food you are weighing. That's all fine and dandy but I already do this on my own at FitDay.com. Plus, storing that kind of vital info inside something that uses batteries just doesn't sound reliable, does it? Two down, three to go. While evaluating the others I was also trying to figure out what type of batteries each of them used. I now had 4 lithiums sitting at home that I would have no use for unless I found, fell in love with, and purchased a scale that used this exact same kind. Unfortunately, one of them took AAA's, one took a 9V, and one (the cheapest at $20) didn't say what kind of batteries it took on the box. Upon further examination it occurred to me there was not much difference between the $40, $30, and $20 versions. The nail in the coffin came when I examined the display model of the $20 scale and noticed that it did, indeed, take the same kind of lithium batteries we had at home. Hurray! And even better? The cashier accepted the 20% off coupon Kristi had given me even though it expired last week so I spent less than $20 on this puppy. Today was definitely my lucky day! I know, I know. I get excited about stupid, strange, little things.

Here's the new member of my family....

No comments:

Post a Comment