"You can take the fat off a man's body, but you can't take the fat out of his head."

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Wrigley's 5 and gum in general

I have an oral fetish. I hadn't noticed it until recently, but it has always been there. It started with thumb sucking. Then it turned into biting my finger nails. Then cigarettes, but the nail chewing never stopped. And let's not forget how much I like having food or drink in my mouth.

So here I sit nowadays being healthy and stuff, getting into shape...and I still have this desire to have something in my mouth most of the time. Thank God he created sugarless gum on the eighth day!

I don't chew a lot of it - about three sticks a day - and at only 5 calories or less per stick, I'm not throwing a wrench into my diet and nutrition. If you're eating every two to three hours, it's a great way to help you get from one meal to the next. The key is finding a flavor you like that lasts longer than five seconds.

Wrigley's seems to have hit the nail on the head with their "5" series. I've been so enamored with one of the new flavors, "React Mint", that I actually sent them an email and told them how much I love it. I don't have a copy of what I said in the note, but the emphasis was basically "don't you dare ever take this flavor off the market". I was impressed with how quickly they responded. Part of the reply reads canned, part of it seems more direct and personal. Not that it matters. All I know is they didn't send any free product. Kristi told me it's because I wasn't complaining. I guess that makes sense. Strange how that works.

Wrigley's response:

Dear Mr. Carl,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Your taking the time to share this the way you did means a lot to us. We're glad to hear how much you enjoy Five® Mint Gum. At the Wrigley Company, we've always felt that, even in a little thing like a stick of gum, quality is important. After more than a century, we continue to feel that way about all of our products. That's why we so appreciate hearing from you.

We'll be sure to share your comments with the Five team, who'll certainly appreciate your encouragement, as well. Again, thank you and if you have any additional questions or comments feel free to contact us at 1-800-WRIGLEY Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

By the way, the React Mint gum itself is actually black and transforms to a slight purple when you're chewing it. Good times.



One more plug for Wrigley's...I'm also a big fan of several of their "Extra" flavors. I prefer peppermint during my weight training. Whoops. I guess I chew about four pieces a day on weight lifting days. Still not anywhere near as bad for you as a can of Coca Cola.

Oh, and to this day I still bite my nails. I just don't do it when I'm chewing gum.

...unless I'm really, really nervous....

No comments:

Post a Comment