"You can take the fat off a man's body, but you can't take the fat out of his head."

Friday, June 25, 2010

Green Tea

It wasn't until recently that I became somewhat of a tea drinker. It's not my thing. I'm not a fan of the taste. But it got to a point where I was reading so much information about the health benefits of tea drinking that I could no longer ignore its super powers, especially green tea.

Nine Reasons To Drink Green Tea Daily

For me, the number one reason to drink the murky looking stuff on a daily basis is to help fight/prevent prostate cancer. My father had the unfortunate experience of losing his life to this disease almost a decade ago, at a time when prostate cancer was known as a cancer that men were more likely to die with rather than of. That theory has changed these days as prostate cancer is now a silent, scary disease that can creep up on middle aged men. Since genetics play such a large role, I'm trying my best to keep my prostate in check.

I question whether or not green tea can really "target belly fat", but what can it hurt? It certainly isn't going to put on belly fat. The calories in a cup of green tea are so minimal I don't even track it with the rest of my daily intake. Keep in mind if you're trying to watch your caffeine consumption, regular green tea does contain it, but like the above article states, not near as much as coffee. Like everything else, you can buy a caffeine-free version of green tea and still get the natural health benefits.

The three cups a day that the "experts" recommend seem like a lot. I was drinking that much for awhile, but have scaled it back to 1 or 2 at most. I've also been drinking some occasional black tea just to mix it up. I don't like the taste of it much either, but sometimes it's not about taste. For me it's about getting into a routine/habit of doing things that are good for me. If that means eating chicken breast and broccoli two times a day, sobeit.

For a little info on the benefits of black tea (including heart attack and stroke prevention) you can check out this link:

The Health Benefits Of Black Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment