"You can take the fat off a man's body, but you can't take the fat out of his head."

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Make your own healthy food

Kristi has been on a tear lately. First she started making her own bread. And I'm not talking about making it with a breadmaker. No, no. We got rid of that thing a long time ago. She makes the whole works by herself from scratch. I don't eat a lot of bread these days, but I've sampled what she has made on several occasions and it really is delicious.

She also started making yogurt. Sounds strange, I know. I'm not even sure if she's doing it because it saves us money or if she just likes telling people she does it. Either way, it's less expensive and more healthy than store-bought yogurt. Here's the recipe she uses:

Homemade Yogurt Recipe

(Did you happen to notice where that link sends you? Associated Content. Just thought I'd point it out since I've talked about it here a few times already.)

I don't eat a lot of yogurt these days either, but this homemade stuff is good. The biggest problem I have with it is not being able to track the calories. I've been logging my meals, calories, and macros (protein, carbohydrates, and fat) for about a year and a half now and I'm not ready to give it up yet. It's a great way for me to feel like I'm in control of my body by knowing exactly how much I'm eating each day, week, and month. There's no guessing; no accidental overeating.

Kristi even talked about making cottage cheese. Now there's a food I eat a lot of each week! Once again, though, there's no way to track the contents so at this point I think we've decided against it. Although Presley now likes cottage cheese (as well as bread, toast, and yogurt), so you never know.

Next up? Cows and chickens in the backyard. Plenty of milk, beef, eggs, and chicken breasts for the entire neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment