"You can take the fat off a man's body, but you can't take the fat out of his head."

Friday, June 11, 2010

Yoplait's Red Velvet Cake Fat Free Yogurt

I used to eat a lot of fat free yogurt. I actually mixed it with my low fat cottage cheese. Everyone who saw me do this thought it was disgusting, but I swear the two taste very good together. I believe I got the idea from the book, Body For Life. Anyway, despite this great food combination I stopped eating yogurt awhile back because it didn't really fit into my dietary needs. Don't get me wrong. It's good for you! I just stepped away from it for awhile...until the other day.

I happened to catch a commercial on the tube (a rarity since I'm always fast-forwarding through them because I rarely watch anything live) for Yoplait's new yogurt flavors, one of which is Red Velvet Cake. Now, I'm a big fan of red velvet cake so I thought it might be worth a shot. I picked up one at the stored and gave it a whirl. I even mixed it with some cottage cheese for old time's sake. The verdict?

I give it a "B". It's good, it just doesn't taste like red velvet cake. It more resembles one of their berry flavors. The real problem is it lacks a cream cheese frosting bite to it. Let's be honest...that's what makes a red velvet cake a red velvet cake. So in my opinion Yoplait kind of missed the boat with this opportunity. Instead of putting out a product that looks and tastes extremely similar to their previous ones, they should have added a second flavor and color and swirled it together in the container to create a real red velvet cake taste. With all the aspartame they use to make these different flavors, you can't tell me they wouldn't be able to make one kick-ass cream cheese flavor.

So to Yoplait I say "shame on you". You're better than this. Maybe you could go back to the drawing board and try again??

PS - your Orange Creme and Key Lime Pie are awesome!
(Mama always said after knocking someone down, pick them back up and leave them with a high note.)

2 comments:

  1. Many years ago, I used to eat Muller yoghurts until someone pointed out they had gelatine in them (I'm vegetarian). Such a shame so many yoghurts use gelatine as the flavours were really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the supportive comment! It means a lot to me- Things are A LOT worse than I made them out to be. I am the ONLY one who got penalized. HE hired a NEW girl to take my shifts. It has been so hard. Thank you for everything, it really helps!
    Have a great weekend!
    B

    ReplyDelete