"You can take the fat off a man's body, but you can't take the fat out of his head."

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What's your inspiration?

I was watching an episode of All In The Family this morning that got me to thinking about the inspiration behind my health goals. Archie had been ordered by his doctor to lose twenty five pounds. During his struggle to diet he fell off the wagon like so many people do and ended up at a restaurant eating as much artery clogging food as they would serve him. There he ran into his 92 year-old friend, Quigley, a man of great health and in fantastic shape for his age because of his activity level and eating habits. After spending some time explaining to Archie why it was so important for him to lose some weight, Quigley left Archie at the restaurant by saying:

"Bunker, take my advice and don't end up just a fat memory in somebody's wallet. Stick to your diet and you'll live to dance at your grandson's wedding. Think it over, sonny."

On the surface, like everyone else, my so-called inspiration is simple: I want to look good. I don't want to look old when I'm old. I was fat and unhappy for roughly the first 25 years of my life - that was plenty, thank you. But what about the unselfish reasons? How do others, especially my family, inspire me?

I already mentioned in my last entry how much it would mean to me to be able to retire someday since my father didn't (technically) get that chance. But there's also my beautiful little daughter to think about. We had her, our only child, later in life. I was almost 37 when she was born. The day I found out Kristi was pregnant was the day I started doing all the math...and freaking out:

"Holy crap! I'll be 55 freakin' years-old when she graduates from high school! I'll probably be in my 60's when she gets married and has children! I'll be lucky to be alive!!! What have I done!?!?! We should've had children EARLIER!!!"

This continued after she was born. It took me about a year to calm down enough to let everything sink in, especially just being a father. One day it finally dawned on me that I had a choice. I could either lie around and be a fat, unhealthy, lazy father who worries constantly that he will not get to see his little girl grow up, or I could at least try to combat these concerns with an effort to live as long as possible. The rest has been history since February, 2009.

All of this effort just might pay off. Of course, there's always the chance that it won't. But at least I can say I tried. It's worth the effort for the next 30, 40, or 50 years. Every day I remain alive is one more day of joy for me and my family. Happiness that, as far as I know, might be because of my diet and exercise routine.

So what's the inspiration behind your health aspirations?


Footnote: The actor who played Quigley (Burt Mustin) died a year after the aforementioned episode aired. He was 11 days shy of his 93rd birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment